Creamy, cheesy, and loaded with delicate zucchini slices, this Spaghetti alla Nerano dish is a meal in itself — no side dish required — and it tastes heavenly.
SERVING: 2 COOKING TIME: 30 MINUTES
1. Heat a good amount of extra virgin olive oil in a pan over medium heat and fry the zucchini until slightly brown.
2. Place zucchini on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
3. Once the zucchini are all fried sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a few hand-torn basil leaves.
4. Add salt to the pot with water and cook the spaghetti until al dente.
5. While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat.
6. Stir the garlic until fragrant, then remove it from the pan.
7. Add the fried zucchini to the pan, reserving some for garnish.
8. Pour a ladleful of the cooking water and cook for about one minute.
9. Drain and add the pasta to the pan, then add the provolone cheese.
10. Pour in another ladleful of the cooking water and more hand-torn basil. Then turn off the heat.
11. Stir vigorously for one minute or until the cheese has melted and turned into a creamy sauce that coats perfectly the pasta.
12.Place spaghetti on a serving plate. Garnish with lemon zest and the zucchini you reserved before, freshly cracked pepper, and enjoy.